Around the towns – midweek edition


Ooh, ooh that smell
Player, a drug dog with Corrections Service Canada, locates some drugs planted on a Citizen’s Academy member Monday night. Player’s handler, Wayne Bhnisch, presented a 90-minute talk on how drugs and weapons are discovered and dealt with in Canada’s correctional facilities. – Stephen Dafoe Photo


STARS funding
Sturgeon County Council pose with representatives from STARS Air Ambulance Feb. 28. The County donated the non-profit organization $38,200, an equal amount to the County’s 2011 donation.

During a presentation from STARS that morning councillors learned the organization transported 1,655 patients in 2011, 64 per cent of which were inter-facility transports, the remaining 34 per cent accident scene calls.

STARS are set to receive two AW139 helicopters this summer, aircraft capable of travelling from Edmonton to Fort McMurray and back without refuelling. The two helicopters cost $25 million and will require another $2.5 million to convert the pair of birds to mobile hospital units.

The non-profit organization is set to expand into Saskatchewan this year, opening a base in Regina this spring and Saskatoon in the fall. STARS receive 25 per cent of their funding from Alberta Health Services, funds that cover mission-related costs. The remaining 75 per cent of annual funding is derived from fundraising, including calendar sales, an annual lottery and an appeal to municipalities like Sturgeon County to provide a per capita donation.

An historical display
Musée Morinville Museum Operations Attendant Donna Garrett arranges a display Tuesday for the upcoming International Women’s Day to be held Mar. 8.The museum’s theme is taken from the Canadian Status of Women and is titled Strong Leadership, Strong Women, Strong World: Equality. The museum’s on going pioneer women exhibit and prominent women of Morinville display features Sarah Rondeau, Thelma Chalifoux, Mary Anne Balsille and Louise Bourque. The pioneer way of life women experienced is also featured in displays depicting homemade cooking, sewing, laundry and homemade soaps. The Musée Morinville Museum is open Wednesday to Saturday from noon until 5 p.m. They are located in the basement of the Notre Dame Apartments in St. Jean Baptiste Park. – Lucie Roy Photo

Kowalski brings thanks to council

firewood

Barrhead-Morinville-Westlock MLA and speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, the Honourable Ken Kowalski poses with Morinville Town Council during their Feb. 28 meeting. Kowalski visited Council to express his thanks to councillors, the community and to say his goodbyes.

The MLA announced in December that he would not seek re-election when the writ is dropped this spring. Kowalski explained although he will cease to be MLA at that time he will remain speaker until such time as the legislative assembly reconvenes after the election.

Kowalski extended his thanks to council and all of those who extend back to 1980, when he first entered politics. The MLA spoke of the province’s history and how he was the 534th MLa to be elected in the province. Kowalski said in his 33-years in provincial politics he has had the opportunity to work with 50 per cent of the elected people in the history of Alberta.
In addition to praising council, Kowalski had praise for Morinville’s long-serving mayor, Lloyd Bertschi. “I want to personally applaud you and thank you for the leadership you have shown this community,” Kowalski said, adding his respect for Morinville Town Council’s ability to work together. “That is what a community centre should be,” Kowalski said.

Mayor Bertschi also thanked the MLA for his efforts on behalf of the community in procuring funding as well as all the considerable amount of time Kowalski spent at community events. “Your commitment to the people of Alberta was absolutely fantastic,” Bertschi said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments

comments

About admin 6935 Articles
The Morinville News is an online daily and bi-weekly print publication serving Morinville and surrounding area. Our print publication is distributed on the first, third and fifth Wednesday. You can also follow us online on Twitter @MorinvilleNews and on Facebook at Facebook.com/MorinvilleNews

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply