By Mayor Lloyd Bertschi
The Province of Alberta supports local communities through a number of grants, one of which is the Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) – Capital Funding.
In 2012, Morinville will receive $1,477,615 in MSI Capital funding and over the past three years has received over $4.1 million in funding from this program. The program supports qualifying projects that result in the purchase, construction, development, betterment, rehabilitation or non-routine maintenance of infrastructure that enhances long-term municipal sustainability.
Some of the projects that your Council has completed over the past 3 years include:
• Purchase of the new Aerial Fire Truck – $1,000,000 in MSI funding utilized
• Purchase of additional mowers for lawn maintenance – $60,000 in MSI funding utilized
• Construction related to Community Cultural Centre – $100,000 in MSI funding utilized
• Purchase of a new snow plow – $165,000 in MSI funding utilized
• 107 Street Development – $1,260,000 in MSI funding utilized
• St. Germain Place redevelopment – $1,340,000 in MSI funding utilized
• Burial of Power Lines – $130,000 in MSI funding utilized
Clearly, without this funding, these projects would not be able to be completed without an increase in taxes. Based on $1,400,000 in funding each year, taxes would need to be increased by an average of $380 per property.
On behalf of Council and all residents of Morinville, we thank and appreciate the Alberta Government’s continued support for local communities through the MSI Capital grant.