Wolves experience tough overtime losses at zones

By Morinvillenews.com Staff

Morinville – It was a tough weekend for the Morinville community High School senior basketball teams over the Mar. 9 weekend. Both the Wolves and Ladies Wolves fell in overtime during their respective final games by the narrowest of margins. After battling their way to the final, the Wolves lost by two points in overtime. The Lady Wolves fell by just one point.

The boys started their weekend with a 70-27 victory over Drayton Valley to advance to the semi-final game Saturday. In that game the Wolves took on Barrhead, advancing from a 17-10 lead at the end of the first quarter to a 26-19 lead by the half. The third quarter saw the Wolves elevate their lead to 43-30, picking up another 19 points in the final quarter to take the game 43-30.

In the final contest, the Wolves took on St. Thomas Aquinas from Spruce Grove. Although the Wolves were down 11-9 at the end of the first quarter, they fell further behind to 23-16 by the half. The boys returned to the court to comeback 37-34 after the third. But both teams were pressing for victory in the final quarter, which ended 45-45. Overtime saw the Wolves fall 53-51.

For the Lady Wolves there was also a disappointing tough loss Saturday. The girls worked their way from a 65-31 victory over Hilltop from Whitecourt to advance to the semi-final game against St. Thomas Aquinas. Despite a first quarter that went back and forth between the two teams, the girls emerged with a 63-39 victory.

The Lady Wolves took on the Edwin Parr Predators from Athabasca in the final. Coach Kent Lessard said the girls dominated the first quarter, earning a 23-14 lead by the quarter’s end.

But foul trouble plagued the team in the second quarter. Lessard said officials were calling the game tighter than most games this year. Fouls continued to mount in the second half, and the Lady Wolves took two in the first 15 seconds of the 3rd quarter, allowing the Predators to continue to close the gap.

Athabasca tied the game in the final minute, forcing overtime. Lessard said with five players fouled out and still fighting hard, the Lady Wolves fell by a score of 62-61 despite a valiant effort to score with 3.4 seconds left by Carrie Mossey.

“The Lady Wolves have had a fantastic season with three tournament victories and three second place finishes,” Lessard said. “They should be proud as they represented MCHS and their community with determination and class.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email