The Morinville RCMP for the month of July, 2014 will be focusing on occupant restraints.
According to Alberta Transportation, in 2011, 95.1% of Albertans in rural and urban areas were using occupant restraints. However, there continues to be a contingency of drivers that either avoid compliance altogether or are inconsistent in their use of restraints.
One of the most effective measures to protect occupants from injury in the event of a collision is the use of seat belts and child safety seats.
What’s holding you back? Protect yourself, family and friends from unexpected hazards you encounter on the road.
1 Seatbelts are the single most, cost effective life-saving device we have to protect us in a motor vehicle collision.
2. Seatbelts can improve your chances of surviving a serious or fatal crash by 50 per cent.
3. Buckle everyone up, for every ride.
4. Unbelted passengers become deadly missiles to others in the vehicle.
5. Child safety seats are required by law.
6. Drivers are responsible to ensure all passengers under 16 years of age are properly buckled in.
7. Without a booster seat, a child is 3 1/2 times more likely to suffer a significant injury.
8. Children under the age of 12 are safest in the back seat.
Cst. Scott Cairney, Morinville RCMP