Public Notice: Town of Morinville Offering Support through Alberta Provincial Operation Center for the Wildfire Evacuees

submitted by Town of Morinville

On behalf of Morinville Town Council and Town Administration, our thoughts and prayers are going out to all of those who are being affected by the devastating fires burning in Alberta. As a community, and as Albertans, we are here to help support those that have been affected by these tragic events. Morinville is here to help support immediate needs as well will be looking at ways that we can provide assistance as the rebuilding begins. To ensure important efforts are supportive and do not hamper the activities that are already underway, we encourage those that wish to help to read the information provided below.

What is being done in Morinville?

Through Administration, Morinville is staying in contact with the Provincial Operation Center (POC) which is coordinating the events and responses around the Province especially those for Fort McMurray. Administration has provided the POC a listing of qualified staff resources that are available for deployment as well as potential facilities and other resources that can be drawn upon. At this time, we are being asked to support activities and Reception Centers that are currently in operations and if and when required communities will be contacted to either open additional facilities or provide support personnel where possible.

To date, Morinville has partnered with other Sturgeon Region Fire Departments and has deployed three Fire Fighters to Fort McMurray and have others ready on stand-by if needed. Morinville RCMP has also deployed three members to support the emergency efforts in Fort McMurray.

Morinville Emergency Social Services staff are currently in contact with staff of St. Albert and Fort Saskatchewan as they get ready to open their reception centers.

How Can I help? Morinville wants to continue to encourage that the best support for the immediate situation is through the Red Cross but we have also included links to the surrounding areas who currently have open reception Centres:

Red Cross – Quick link to the Emergency Alberta Fires donation page and Red Cross in Your Community page
City of Edmonton Helping Wood Buffalo page

Province of Alberta Emergency Updates Page (includes links to * I have a need, * I want to give, * I want to Volunteer)
Morinville Community High School ( will be collecting food and water donations- Bottled water, canned meat , canned stew and non-perishable food items. Diapers and baby food, toiletries (soap, tooth brushes, toothpaste, etc.) are also being collected.

If you are unable to access any of the above contact points and wish to still try and support or you are able to provide resources you can contact Town Administration through the following ways:

General Town Email: or via phone at 780-939-4361.

For housing support contact or or call
Community Services at 780-939-7839.

I need Support, what is available?

 I need a place to Park my RV or can I park in front of a Friends /Families House?

Yes, You can park at the Community Culture Centre (9502-100 Ave) or at the Arena (9908-104 Street) or if able to do safely along residential street.

We ask that you contact Morinville Peace Officers at or Phone 780-939-7831 to leave your name, contact number and location of where you are.

 I have a pet can I get a temporary license?

Yes – a free dog licence is available to those residents from Fort McMurray or areas currently being evacuated for emergency purposes- These can be obtained at the Town Office – 10125 100 Street Phone # 780-939-4361

I have other social needs who can I call? Family and Community Support Services can be found at the Community Services Office located at the Morinville Community Cultural Centre ( 9502-100 Avenue) or by contacting 780-939-7839

Print Friendly, PDF & Email