(NC) Contrary to what some may assume, microwaves aren’t only for nuking leftovers. The handy appliance can also do more than create the overcooked, rubbery messes often associated with flavourless zapped nosh.
Use the unsung hero of appliances to make delicious, nutritious recipes in minutes to give busy weekdays or lazy weekends a much-needed touch of fuss-free food and flavour. After all, it is during the most hectic of times that we need the comfort and nourishment of a hot, homecooked meal.
Cook time: 19 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 (about 400-500 g) medium eggplant
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1½ cup (375 mL) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Tabasco Chipotle sauce
- 3 tbsp (11 g) parmigiano reggiano, divided
- 2 tbsp (13 g) breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 cup (110 g) grated mozzarella
- Basil leaves for serving
- Baste each eggplant slice (1/8 inch) with good quality olive oil and salt lightly.
- Spread all eggplant slices in a gratin dish. It doesn’t matter if they overlap. Cook in microwave for four minutes on high.
- Put aside the eggplant slices and use a paper towel to remove any excess liquid.
- Layer about ½ cup (125 mL) tomato sauce at the bottom of your gratin dish, then cover with a layer of the pre-cooked eggplant. Sprinkle with about ½ tablespoon (7.5 mL) grated Parmigiano cheese, then ½ tablespoon (7.5 mL) breadcrumbs, per layer.
- Repeat two layers as directed above, then finish with breadcrumbs, all the grated mozzarella and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of grated Parmigiano.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes, until bubbly and smelling delicious.
- Let cool for about five minutes, garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.
Find more delicious recipes including one-pot fried rice, bacon and cheese meatloaf, and jalapeno lemon and lime squares using your microwave at tabascosauce.ca.