(NC) There are a lot of temptations during the holidays. Between desserts, drinks and special occasion foods, you may consume more sugar than usual. To help keep your health in check, here are a handy tip and a delicious festive dessert idea:
Don’t go to a dinner party or potluck unprepared. Normally loaded with refined sugar and carbs, desserts can get tricky — especially if you have a health condition such as diabetes.
Bringing a lower-sugar dessert is a great way to keep you on track at a potluck, and still enjoy a delicious treat with the rest of the party.
Try this fragrant and sweet pudding, which has 5.2 grams of fibre and 9 grams of protein per serving to keep you nourished and full. It’s drizzled in a fresh, fruity homemade syrup that will satisfy your sweet tooth and keep your glucose balanced.
Festive Bread Pudding
Prep time: 45 minutes + 5 min
Cook time: 1 hour + 5 min
• 3 bottles (237 mL each) vanilla Glucerna, a nutritional drink with a low glycemic index
• 5 slices whole-wheat bread, cut into 2-cm cubes
• 375 mL (1 ½ cups) bran flake cereal
• 3 eggs
• 500 mL (2 cups) fresh or frozen soft fruit
• 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice
• 2.5 mL (½ tsp) cinnamon
• 2.5 mL (½ tsp) vanilla extract
• 30 mL (2 tbsp) water
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 175°C (350°F).
2. Butter an 8 x 11-inch (20 x 28 centimetre) mould.
3. Spread bread cubes in mould and cover with bran flakes.
4. Mix Glucerna and eggs in a bowl and pour over bread.
5. Let sit for 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed, pressing bread from time to time.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until centre is firm.
7. For the topping, put fruit, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla extract and water in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside or refrigerate.
If you struggle to consistently monitor your glucose levels, a flash glucose monitoring system may be right for you. The Abbott FreeStyle Libre 2 system is a digital health tool that makes it easier to keep on top of your glucose levels.
This technology allows you to check your glucose levels discreetly and consistently without the need to finger prick8. Results are available in real-time on your smartphone, allowing you to make informed food choices.
Find more information at myfreestyle.ca.