(NC) Company coming? Fritto Misto, or “fried mix” in Italian, is always a popular appetizer, and you can make it gluten-free using rice. Made with seafood and vegetables, it’s perfect for a group gathering when you want something easy, classy and delicious for everyone.
Cracked Rice Fritto Misto
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 3 cups (750 ml) uncooked U.S. parboiled whole-grain rice
- Approx. 15 oz (450 g) of calamari, shrimp and ocean perch
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon pepper, divided
- Vegetable oil for frying
Lemon Herb Aioli:
- ½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise (can use gluten free)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) each finely chopped tarragon, basil, chives
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Add rice to a high-powered blender and pulse to a breadcrumb consistency. Pour into a shallow dish.
- In a large bowl, combine seafood, 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch, ½ tsp (2 ml) lemon pepper and 1 tbsp (15 ml) water.
- In another bowl combine vegetables, 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch, ½ tsp (2 ml) lemon pepper and 1 tbsp (15 ml) water.
- Preheat 3 inches (7 1/2 cm) of oil in a large pot to 360°F (190°C). Ensure vegetables are evenly coated in their mixture. Then press vegetables into rice crumbs without shaking off excess and fry in batches until lightly golden. Remove vegetables to a paper towel-lined baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Repeat coating and frying steps with seafood.
- Lemon Herb Aioli: Stir together mayonnaise, tarragon, basil, chives, lemon juice, and garlic.
- Serve fritto misto with aioli and enjoy.
Find more gluten-free appetizer recipes at riceinfo.com