submitted by Morinville RCMP
Morinville RCMP would like to remind that all drivers play a large role in motorcycle safety. On a motorcycle, a rider is vulnerable. Be aware of motorcyclists on the road and give them the space they need.
Did you know that between 2009 and 2013, motorcycle crashes were more likely to occur during the summer months, in particular, the month of July? Collisions occurred throughout the week, peaking on weekends. Over one-third of the collisions involving a motorcycle occurred in the afternoon rush hour period (3 p.m. – 6:59 p.m.).
For motorcycle operators:
· Stay out of blind spots! Make sure other drivers see you.
· Be alert at intersections. Make eye contact with other drivers/riders before making your move.
· Protect yourself with the right gear and an approved motorcycle helmet.
· Be aware of what is going on behind you to avoid deadly rear end collisions.
· Sharing the road is one of the keys to having other road users respect you as a motorcyclist.
For drivers of other vehicles:
· Share the road – look twice for motorcyclists at intersections or when changing lanes.
· Never underestimate the speed of a motorcycle. Their size makes their speed deceptive.
Morinville RCMP would like to remind all motorists to drive safe and to obey the rules of the road regulation.